Indo Amines gas leak: Mahad plant shut after 2 deaths
Indo Amines Ltd
INDOAMIN
Ask Iris
What happened at the Mahad MIDC unit
Indo Amines Limited has temporarily suspended operations at its manufacturing facility at Plot B-14, Mahad MIDC, District Raigad, Maharashtra, after a gas leak incident on August 15, 2026. The company said it activated emergency response and safety protocols to secure the affected area and protect employees and people in the vicinity. The incident triggered disruption at the plant, with inspections and investigation now underway. Indo Amines has said it is cooperating with competent statutory authorities investigating the exact cause of the leak. The company has also said it will implement necessary safety measures before restarting operations.
Fatalities and medical impact: initial and updated reports
The company initially reported one worker fatality in connection with the incident. Subsequent updates, including reporting cited by Reuters and ScanX News, said two people died: one Indo Amines employee and another person working at a neighbouring industrial unit who succumbed during medical treatment. Local-language reports also stated that the death count rose to two, identifying a worker from a neighbouring unit as having died in hospital. Separately reported details identified one deceased as a 28-year-old worker, Amit Kumar, and named the neighbouring unit worker as Kalpesh Vandre, who died during treatment at a Mumbai hospital. Reports also said several other persons in the vicinity were affected and received medical attention.
Immediate operational response and plant shutdown
Indo Amines said operations at the Mahad facility have been suspended with effect from August 15, 2026, as a precautionary measure. The stated purpose of the suspension is to facilitate inspection, investigation, assessment, and implementation of safety measures. The company said it is assessing the condition of the affected area, plant, and equipment, and is working with technical experts on remedial actions. Indo Amines has not provided a timeline for restart, noting that the period of suspension remains unascertained. It said it will keep stock exchanges informed of material developments, including the expected date of resumption.
What is known about the cause so far
Indo Amines has said it is not in a position to comment conclusively on the cause because the investigation is ongoing. Media reports described preliminary information suggesting gas released from hydrochloric acid affected workers’ eyes, noses, and mouths, leading to breathing problems, dizziness, and discomfort. Reports also said some workers became unconscious and that rainfall may have played a role in spreading the gas, with suspicion that leaked gas travelled through rainwater around the premises. These points were described as preliminary or suspected in the reporting, and the company has not confirmed a definitive cause.
Authorities on site and investigation status
Reporting said authorities began an investigation and visited the company site after the incident. A Factory Inspector identified as Mr Tamboli and Mahad in-charge DySP Shashikant Pawar were reported to have visited around 10 am and held discussions with the company management regarding the accident. Local reporting also stated that police were investigating the matter. Indo Amines has said it is extending full cooperation to statutory authorities.
How many people were affected in the vicinity
Beyond the fatalities, reports said the impact extended to workers in and around the industrial area. Local reporting stated that about 30 to 35 workers at a neighbouring unit were affected, while another report said more than 30 workers were affected overall. One report stated that around 36 people were admitted to the Mahad MIDC MMA Hospital after experiencing health issues linked to the gas. It also said eight workers were more seriously affected, and two were shifted to Mumbai after their condition worsened. Reporting added that people travelling on a nearby road also complained of breathing difficulties.
Operational and business impact: company’s current view
Indo Amines said it is evaluating the impact of the suspension on production, dispatches, customer commitments, inventory, and other operational activities. Based on currently available information, the company said it does not anticipate any material impact on its overall business operations. It stated that it has other manufacturing facilities and will evaluate managing customer requirements through these locations, subject to product-specific requirements, available capacity, and applicable regulatory requirements. The company’s position, as disclosed, is that the assessment is still in progress and the exact financial impact is not yet ascertainable.
Insurance coverage and loss assessment
The company said the Mahad facility is covered under applicable insurance policies. Indo Amines said the extent of insurance coverage applicable to any loss or damage arising from the incident, and the amount recoverable, are currently under assessment. It also said the exact quantum of loss or damage to the affected area, plant, and equipment, including the consequential financial impact, is not ascertainable at this stage.
Wider compliance backdrop: Vadodara closure order and revocation
The Mahad disruption comes shortly after regulatory action involving Indo Amines’ Vadodara facility in Gujarat. Indo Amines received a 15-day plant closure order from the Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) for its manufacturing unit in Vadodara on July 21, 2026. The directive followed a July 13 inspection that found non-compliances with the Water Act, Air Act, and consent conditions, as per the provided information. On August 12, 2026, Indo Amines received revocation orders from the GPCB, allowing the Vadodara manufacturing plant to resume operations for three months.
Financial and market snapshot
Indo Amines reported consolidated revenue of ₹376.08 crore in Q1 FY27, up 24.1% year-on-year from ₹303.11 crore. On the market side, the stock price was cited at ₹130 as of August 16, 2026. These figures provide context as investors track whether the Mahad shutdown creates any near-term operational constraints, and how quickly the company can restore normal operations after the investigation.
Market impact and why the episode matters
For investors, the immediate focus is on operational continuity, regulatory scrutiny, and potential safety-related capex or compliance steps that could follow an investigation. Indo Amines has framed the shutdown as precautionary and has indicated it may meet customer requirements through other facilities, subject to capacity and regulatory conditions. At the same time, the company has indicated that the assessment of plant condition, equipment, and the consequential financial impact is still in progress. The combination of an industrial accident investigation at Mahad and recent compliance action at Vadodara keeps attention on execution risk, even as the company reported higher Q1 FY27 revenue versus the prior year period.
Conclusion
Indo Amines has suspended operations at its Mahad MIDC facility after a gas leak on August 15, 2026, with updated reporting indicating two fatalities and multiple people receiving medical attention. The cause is under statutory investigation, and the company has said it will cooperate with authorities and take necessary safety measures before restarting operations. Indo Amines has also said the facility is insured and that it does not currently anticipate a material impact on overall business operations. The next market-relevant updates are likely to include the investigation outcome, the extent of damage and financial impact assessment, and an estimated timeline for resumption of operations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Did your stocks survive the war?
See what broke. See what stood.
Live Q1 Earnings Tracker
